Search By Category
Search By Author
Are You Addicted To Your Electronic Devices?
With the invention of portable devices like smartphones, it is now possible to be connected to the Internet, literally 24 hours a day. This is generally a good thing. I have a smartphone and I often wonder how I ever got along without it. I no longer need to worry about missing an important email from a client and it’s a great way to kill time when you’re waiting in line. But like any good thing, it’s important not to go overboard.
Just last month, my husband went on a bike trip with some friends. During the trip he looked over to see one of the guys he was riding with texting away on his motorcycle, clearly not paying attention to where he was going. This seems like an insane thing to do and yet we hear about this sort of thing all the time. Hearing stories like this makes me wonder if electronic device addiction is a bigger problem than most people think?
Being “addicted” to an electronic device like a smartphone seems really silly, but it is possible. These devices are considered “psychoactive”, meaning that using them can alter our mood and create pleasurable feelings. We enjoy getting emails, text messages and social networking site updates, but we never know they are coming. This often causes us to check our phones constantly. In some cases this checking can become extreme resulting in a person checking his/her phone in inappropriate or dangerous situations like in a board meeting or while driving a car. In these cases device use may be getting out of control.
Signs of unhealthy electronic device use:
- You are staying up too late using devices. If you want to go to bed early but you are compelled to stay up and interact with people on your electronic device until the wee hours of the morning night after night, this could indicate a problem. This is especially troublesome for adolescence. A study done in 2004 showed that teen and tween students with electronics in their room, get significantly less sleep than their counterparts who do not have electronic devices in their room. This study was done before the invention of smartphones so it’s more than likely that this sleep deficit has increased. Having a distinct cut off time for electronic devices of all kinds is critical if you are to maintain a healthy relationship with them.
- Your device use has unintended consequences in your family life. We have all done it as parents, your child is tugging on your pant leg trying to tell you a story and you’re responding “ah huh”, obviously not paying attention. I often found myself doing this trying to check my emails on my iphone when I first got it. After a while though, I started to realize that this was having a negative effect on my children, causing them to act up more than normal in order to get my attention. Once I understood that my smartphone use was affecting my family, I started to make a conscious effort not to use it while I was spending time with them.
- Your electronic device use is creating a potentially dangerous situation. Just like you wouldn’t read a book or fire up you lap top while driving, you also shouldn’t use your phone to check emails or send text messages. This obviously creates a dangerous situation and is clearly a sign that your device use is unhealthy. I’m sure the person you’re getting in touch with would much rather wait for your message than have you risk getting in an accident just to get in touch with them.
How to get device use under control:
- Realize that the world won’t end if you don’t pick up your phone. When your phone or other device beeps at you, indicating you have a text message, email or phone call, the urge to pick it up can be great, even if you are in a situation where picking up may not be appropriate. Before you pick up, try and put it into perspective. Is it really that important to answer this or can it wait? In most cases people will be able to wait for your response.
- Set aside some time to get unplugged. It can feel as though in the span of a day, we go from one device to another. From our phone to our computer to our TV, we can easily spend our entire day “plugged-in.” This is why scheduling some time to turn all your electronic devices can be so important. Whether it’s a day on the weekend or by a certain time each night, setting aside some time for yourself or your family without the use of electronic devices is key. Although sometimes we fail to realize it, there is often a certain amount of stress involved with electronic device use. Turning them off can actually be a relaxing way to spend time and it will help to recharge your own batteries.
Keep in mind that I am not an addiction specialist, and I’m using the term “addiction” very loosely. I would imagine that almost everyone reading this has done something on the “unhealthy” device list above from time to time. I certainly have. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you are addicted to your electronic devices, but I think it is important to take a hard look at these behaviors and realize that there can be serious consequences to them. Electronic devices like smartphones are an extremely useful technology, but they can become a distraction. If they do become a distraction, remember, you do have the power to turn them off.
Zebralove Web Solutions
Milly Welsh is the Priority Learning webmaster and Owner/Operator of Zebralove Web Solutions, a web development company located in southern Maine.
Zebralove Web Solutions
Submit A Comment:
One other thought is the complication using these devices has on a relationship. If one partner is so focused on their device(s) that they end up disregarding family and partner responsibilities, problems such as resentment, anger, disappointment and a general lack of confidence in the overall standing of the relationship can occur. This is written out of personal experience and it is as if my partner is absolutely oblivious the detrimental situation its causing.
I must express my tankhs to you just for rescuing me from this type of issue. As a result of scouting through the the net and meeting solutions that were not powerful, I thought my entire life was well over. Being alive without the presence of answers to the problems you have resolved through your good blog post is a serious case, and those which might have negatively affected my career if I had not encountered your blog. Your own expertise and kindness in handling all the things was important. I am not sure what I would have done if I had not come upon such a thing like this. I can at this point relish my future. Thanks for your time so much for this impressive and results-oriented help. I will not be reluctant to propose your web sites to anybody who needs to have assistance about this subject matter.
hello there and thanks on your itaromfnion – I have certainly picked up anything new from proper here. I did then again expertise several technical issues the usage of this web site, as I experienced to reload the web site lots of times prior to I may just get it to load correctly. I were thinking about if your web host is OK? No longer that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances occasions will often have an effect on your placement in google and can damage your quality ranking if ads and ***********|advertising|advertising|advertising and *********** with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for much extra of your respective exciting content. Make sure you replace this again soon..
I acquired more inireesttng things on this fat reduction issue. One issue is that good nutrition is tremendously vital when dieting. An enormous reduction in bad foods, sugary foodstuff, fried foods, sweet foods, red meat, and bright flour products can be necessary. Having wastes organisms, and wastes may prevent goals for losing fat. While specific drugs briefly solve the situation, the bad side effects are certainly not worth it, and in addition they never offer more than a temporary solution. It is a known incontrovertible fact that 95% of fad diet plans fail. Thanks for sharing your opinions on this web site. http://dyvhctekeiq.com [url=http://oieugosiqi.com]oieugosiqi[/url] [link=http://slqztjixw.com]slqztjixw[/link]